How to Know if You Have Suffered a Serious Impairment to a Significant Bodily Function

You think your injury is serious, but will the court?

The answer to that question is important to your Pennsylvania car accident recovery if you are covered by limited tort insurance.  Generally, those covered by limited tort insurance are not entitled to damages for pain and suffering when they are injured in a car accident.

However, if you, together with your PA limited tort lawyer, can prove that you suffered a serious impairment to a significant bodily function then you may be entitled to damages for your pain and suffering.  As the language of the exception suggests by the use of the words “serious” and “significant”, not every injury will qualify for this exception.

While there are no hard and fast rules about what constitute a serious impairment to a significant bodily function, courts have considered things such as whether you:

  • Required surgery.
  • Have permanent scarring.
  • Have a permanent injury or disability.
  • Required extensive medical treatment over a long period of time.
  • Suffered a traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury or other disabling injury.
  • Lost your job or significant amounts of income because of your injury.

Your selection of a limited tort policy does not always mean that you cannot recover money for your injuries.  If you have selected limited tort and you have been hurt, call a Pennsylvania limited tort lawyer today for a free consultation.

Awards and Professional Recognition

Representing more than 25,000 clients during the past 25 years has given Jon Ostroff the knowledge and experience to win in the courtroom or settle an insurance claim for top dollar. The continuing recognition by the legal community, clients and high-profile publications and media (like CNN), is an indication of Jon’s commitment to excellence.

limited tort lawyers

Take a Step Toward Your Recovery Today

Ostroff Injury Law helps victims with limited tort still obtain damages to cover pain and suffering, medical bills, and other related expenses. Call our firm today at 484-351-0350 or fill out the form to the right if you need an attorney to fight for your rights after a vehicle accident.

As always, you pay nothing until your case settles.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.